What Can I Have With Me In Therapy
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
Rehab centres have strict policies in place regard what an inpatient can bring with him or her. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
Following your arrival at the treatment centre, you are required to check in and initiate the admission process. Part of the procedure is the inspection of your personal effects to make sure that there are no contrabands and other prohibited objects are smuggled in. A checklist is provided by some clinics to make sure no items are forgot once treatment is over.
Supplies are permitted in the therapy clinics. The policies on the kind of items you can carry will vary according to the centres.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Find Information About What To Bring
Have a look at the "What to Bring" section of your clinic's website you don't know what is allowed and prohibited or queries about packing. You can check the FAQs if such packing information does not have a dedicated webpage. Many centres give their future patients a packing checklist which you can refer to. Calling the rehab centre is an option in case you can't find packing information anywhere on the site. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. You can also receive clarification on other policies or guidance about the admission process.
Items Most Recommended By Rehab Centres To Bring With You
The policy of every rehab centre is different, and some can be expected to be stricter than the others.
These are some of the things that you will find allowed in most rehabs:
- Details of people who form your support group (family and close friends, doctors, 12-step sponsors, and others).
- You are also allowed to carry the jewellery which is used regularly and is considered as a necessity like your wedding rings or a watch.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- A clock with an alarm but not one with radio.
- It is important to get in touch with the rehab clinic before as some of them provide these objects.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- All the medicines must be up to date and prescribed by a certified doctor.
- It is also important to provide a list of all your medications and prescribed quantities.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Your payment card in the form of debit/debit card or your check book.
- Identification cards and insurance cards where they are necessary.
- If you want to make long distance calls, bring a calling card with you.
- Your diary.
- Stamps and envelopes for mailing letters if you wish to.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- You will be provided with reading materials by the rehab centres chosen by you.
- You can bring your own, but rehabs usually allow books of some specific genre only like self-help, spiritually-oriented, etc.
- TIP: Should you bring books, we recommend you to bring paperbacks as they are more handy than hardbacks.
What Type Of Clothing Is Necessary
Some centres have prescribed dress codes or limitations that you have to consider. Include clothes for different weather conditions in your bag if you don't know how the climate is going to be.
Bear in mind that the space within your room could be limited, and therefore, you are advised not to over pack.
Patients enjoy access to common laundry machines and therefore clothing that will last you for 7-10 days will be more than enough. Packing on clothing that is easy to wash and will not require dry-cleaning will prove helpful.
Keep the weather in mind and bring a seven day weather-appropriate set of clothes like.
- Shoes: Comfortable shoes for everyday activities, sports and flip flops for the shower.
- Shirts: For slightly revealing articles, you may bring cardigans or pullovers to cover it to avoid dress code policy issues.
- Shorts: The dress code of the centres will determine the length of the shorts.
- Carry a few clothes that will be used for important events.
- Bathing suit: Choose one-piece suits for woman and trunks for men.
- A coat / jacket.
- A bathrobe.
- A belt, if needed.
- A hat: it is possible that the centres may not allow hats indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products To Take
Carrying alcohol free makeup products is what many rehabs advocate for. Some allow alcohol-containing products only when alcohol doesn't feature in the first three ingredients. Do not bring aerosols.
You should be taking along 30-day requirements of toiletries and beauty products, including:
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair gels
- Hair brush
- Feminine care products
- Shaving cream
Which Items Are Prohibited
All rehabs have strict rules and do not allow certain prohibited items within the centres. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery These are the screened contrabands:
- Drugs and alcohol
- Opiates and other medicines
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Food or drinks
- Body sprays with alcohol content
- E cigarettes
- Medications that are not prescribed
- Nail polish, polish remover and synthetic nail related products
- Computer games
- Sporting apparatus
- Revealing clothing [tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff baring tops, etc.]
- Cleaning products (bleach, ammonia, etc.)
- Electrical devices (televisions, gaming consoles, etc.)
- Gaming materials
- Candles and incense
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol or violence
While you might not expect certain things to be banned, like electronic products and sport equipment, but many centres do not allow them. The centres do not distractions of any form that would make you lose your focus on your road to recovery. However, some of the rehabs could facilitate you to get these equipments on some days.
Outside catering is also prohibited because the food you eat needs to be according to the standards. You will be provided with three meals a day, snacks and beverages. You should inform your facility beforehand in case you are on a special diet.
These Items Are Allowed By Some But Prohibited By Others
There are clinics that may permit items that are forbidden in others as every centre has its regulations. You may wonder but some centres allow these items inside the facility:
- Cell Phone and Laptop
- You will be able to use these items at certain times if they are permitted by your clinic.
- Just don't forget to take the charger with you.
- Some facilities will allow you to bring in cigarettes if you are a smoker.
- A limit to cartons available at these centres is usually established.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- All the medicine should either be prescribed or new.
- These must also be new.
- Music Players
- It is sometimes possible to carry items that don't have an internet connection or speakers.
- Some clinics permit cameras without internet connection for those who love pictures.
- Disposable Razor or Electric Razor
- Razors are considered as dangerous and some centres are known to prohibit them completely.
- Most of the times, throwaway razors are permitted.
- Nail Clippers
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Objects That Make You Feel At Home
- Many centres allow patients to bring their own mattresses and pillows and other stuff to give their room a more homely appearance.
- However, all these items should be allowed first.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
If you arrive at the centres with some prohibited items without realisation you do not have to remain concerned. You close relative will be advised to go back with these items. Many others will hold the items for 24 hours until someone comes over to pick them up. It is possible that the centre might store the item till your release day.
There are higher probabilities that you will go to a clinic alone if you reached the centre by plane. You need to be aware of all the rules and restriction in the facility before you come to check in. Any prohibited items that they have confiscated are expected to be returned. They can either send them back to your place or keep them safe till the end of the recovery process.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple If you have doubts about some object review your clinic's regulations. They always have documents that give details of this information. As a generally suggested idea, pack and travel light and keep it to bare essentials.
Reach Out For Help Today
A number of treatment centres will allow you to bring certain things, which can make your life comfortable during the treatment. Our treatment specialists can provide you the assistance needed to find a centre best suited to your requirements.
We can connect you with one if you get in touch with us on 0800 246 1509 .