Defining Motivational Enhancement Therapy
Motivational Enhancement Therapy has assisted many people to recover by emphasizing change that is internally motivated in their targeted therapy sessions.
This is an approach which is designed specifically to motivate addicts internally and motivational enhancement therapy [MET] utilises the methods of intervention and counselling to achieve its objectives. MET works well when it is combined with other types of counselling for individuals who are addicted such as the 12 step treatment method. MET comprises of four targeted treatment sessions, which are developed after an initial assessment. Every session is customized to the need of the person. The objectives of the treatment are established during the first sessions in which the information of the user is studied. Succeeding meetings give the individual the view and good support for remaining abstinent.
Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET) works by helping dependent individuals figure out how to change their own particular considerations and practices.
Treating Dependency With Motivational Enhancement Therapy
An individual's treatment requirements are assessed at the time they enter the treatment centre. During the quitting process, there is specialist who checks on the body of the patient to ensure that everything is going ok.
MET advisors then work with patients to change their considerations and practices identified with medication utilize.
If there are other mental health problems present, MET can also help in treating them. Because drug use can result in the brain chemistry being altered, it is very common to find other mental health problems in people with addictions. Motivational Enhancement Therapy could aid in curing dependency and a coexisting condition simultaneously to put a stop to later setback.
Some co-happening conditions MET treats include:
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Bipolar affective illness
- Eating issues
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Combining Met And Other Treatments
MET is rarely applied on its own and is usually a part of an addiction treatment program that normally includes Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, 12-step programs and other behavioural therapies. For helping patients on the conducts change, a therapist uses professionals methods to have a good result. For example, while the primary focus of CBT relies upon teaching patients to cope with strategies for stress, the 12-step program outlines specific steps with the sole intention to help addicts to become and stay sober.
Techniques And Treatment Used In Met Therapy
The recovering drug user is required to work past five main elements with the help of a doctor when MET is used.
The methods used in MET have been seen to make recovering drug users want to change their habits.
- Creating And Showing Compassion
- Encouragement is provided for the patient to understand and develop empathy to learn how their actions are affecting other people around them.
- This can be utilized as a motivational variable for change.
- The patient and therapist also benefit from empathy because it helps them to develop a trusting relationship between themselves.
- Accepting that there are differences between what they think and what is real.
- It is important that patients accept the reality that they are not really where they think they are in life if they are to be more receptive to the treatment.
- It can be very revealing for the patient to notice this and this can prove a powerful motivation for them to change.
- Staying Away From Conflict
- Counsellors would not disagree with the individuals regarding the extent of their substance or liquor addiction.
- On the other hand, patients are provided the encouragement they need to display a positive response and outlook on MET.
- Tolerating resistance as a component of the procedure.
- MET can help addicted individuals overcome their resistance to the treatment which is highly needed by them.
- Therapists help the patients to come to terms with the real effect of their addiction on their personal lives and that of others by trying to relate to them at a personal level.
- Encouraging A Recuperating Abuser's Self Confidence
- Recuperating addicts must have confidence in their capacity to accomplish their objectives.
- MET educates individuals that they own the potential to defeat dependency and to make an effort towards their aims in life.
- Counsellors support favourable ideas and conducts which strengthen the idea of self confidence.
Get Help For Alcohol Or Substance Abuse Now
We could assist if you or a loved one is experiencing liquor or substance dependency. Numerous outpatient and residential substance rehabilitation centres comprehend the requirement for psychological wellness therapy throughout healing of dependency. Getting the drive to be and remain abstinent could be an important component to an enduring recuperation, for assistance contact us on 0800 246 1509.