Drug Addiction In College Campuses
Many college-going students have a drinking or drug problem.
Among the total drug abusers throughout the country students in college hold the premier position and are one of the largest groups.
These college students are the population ages 18-24 who were exposed to greater chances of addiction.
Many students experience social anxiety when they enter college. For students who do not engage in extracurricular activities or clubs find it easier to socialize through drinking. These addiction usually comes gradually when the continue drinking.
There is also a very small chance for the people that are not in these institutions to use drugs as compared to those studying there.
Reasons For Drug Abuse In Colleges
Several things can lead college pupils to fall for drug overuse and these are:
- Different people have different ways of coping and amidst the daily grind of college life and perhaps their part-time job and relationships make them think they need it.
- Course Work
- Students who do not have a regular studying habit or are too tired and too hectic to establish one more often resort to stimulant use to keep them awake.
- Most of these substances tend to be found with no proper prescription.
- Being Interested In Something New
- It is a common habit among college students to explore the new aspects of life both in personal and professional realms.
- Trying drugs is part of these new phases.
- Peer Pressure
- Your environment and the kind of people who surround you are more likely to influence your person and your decision making.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Eating Abnormalities And Dieting Pills In College
College students are exposed to higher vulnerability to develop eating disorders.
According to a research of the National Institute of Mental Health, at least 25% of college pupils have problems with unhealthy eating behaviours. A report revealed that the number of both males and females having unhealthy eating behaviours has increased by far in the past twenty years. In an effort to loose some pounds, they resort to the use of weight loss pills. This diet pill use is linked to common health issues and even cause death. Learn about diet pill abuse and eating disorders in college students.
Chosen Drugs On College Campuses
There is no drug available with the immunity for college experimentation, and this is simply because trends have been changing constantly over a period of time.
A few substances, however, have been abused constantly by college students. Some of them are:
- Alcohol is attributed to most cases of campus troubles that are related to substance use.
- It is also tricky to tell if a student is addicted to liquor or not because it is something that is used in many social events.
- Many students, especially those who are stressed out about finishing study assignments on time, reach out for stimulants such as Adderall, which are also known as "study drugs".
- In many states, Marijuana is now legal and that's why its use among college students is rising.
- Other states even have campuses tallying increased use of cannabis as opposed to alcohol.
- Molly is another drug that is being abused in the colleges and gaining popularity, even though it has been in existence for quite sometime.
- The "party drug" is also used by the youths all over campuses, as they fall under the target age range for this drug.
- This party pill is increasingly popular among rave parties and concerts.
Alcohol Effects On College Pupils
Alcohol gained its notoriety as the most popular and legally accessible substance among college students. Consuming alcohol is synonymous with the experience in college and alcohol is always present during house parties, sporting events and student get-togethers.
Alcohol is so common in college and its use rarely, if ever, is frowned at, and that's why college students as a group drink more alcohol than those who are of the same age but do not attend college.
Four out of five college students consume alcohol during their time in college.
Nearly 50% of all students who consume alcohol have reportedly resorted to binge drinking according to a document published by the National Institute On Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Binge drinking causes severe health damage over a period of time, but it also contributes to immediate mishaps like accidents and violent fights. Learn more about binge drinking and the effects of alcohol on college campuses.
Substance Abuse In Fraternities And Sororities
There are many different fraternities in colleges, each of which encourages its members to have friendly relations with other members and to seek excellence in academia and other spheres, but Greek system, with all its good points, has more cases of alcohol and drug abuse than others.
Members of a Greek system abuse drugs more than other students.
Seeking Assistance For Drug And Alcohol Abuse
If you are struggling with a problem of binge drinking, prescription-drug abuse and an eating disorder, furthermore, are a college student you do not have to counter this difficult time alone. We can help you get the best assistance in stopping this addiction. Time to get in contact with us on 0800 246 1509 to break free from the addiction of alcohol and drug abuse.